In November 2016, Marrakech will host the Twenty-Second Conference of the Parties of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP 22). After last year’s historic adoption of the Paris Agreement, this meeting will focus mainly on preparing for the entry into force of the agreement. As the official website states: "COP22 will be one of action." REEEP will be organising two side events and participating in a number of others; see the full REEEP at COP calendar below.
COP22 will focus on encouraging action in line with the priorities of The Paris Agreement, especially related to adaptation, transparency, technology transfer, mitigation, capacity building and loss and damages. Having stated their plans for a climate-friendly future in the Intended Nationally Determined Contributions, it will now be time for the participating countries to start turning these ambitions into reality.
The REEEP delegation reports live from COP on the REEEP blog, follow them here!
REEEP at COP:
REEEP and PFAN-organised Side Events
- NDC-driven SME Climate Finance Pathways for Developing Countries - organised by REEEP, ICETT and PFAN. Thursday, 10th of November, 11:30-13:00, Room Pacific.
- Climate Change, Clean Energy and Urban Water in Africa - organised by UNIDO, REEEP, the South-African Department of Environmental Affairs and the EU DG CLIMA. Thursday, 10th of November, 16:30-18:00, EU Pavillion.
- Accelerating Investment for Low Carbon, Climate Resilient Projects in Africa - organised by PFAN. Friday, 11th of November, 14:00-15:30, Africa Pavillion, Salle 2.
Other Events by REEEP Partners
- REEEP DG Martin Hiller will be on the panel of the UNIDO side event on Sustainable Development Goal 9: Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure. The panel will discuss how the UN system, in collaboration with non-UN actors, can provide expertise and opportunities for countries to promote climate-smart industrialisation and transportation systems. Tuesday, 8th of November, 18:30-20:00, Austral (300)
- REEEP DG Martin Hiller and Peter Storey, Global Coordinator at PFAN, will be speaking at the International Development Research Centre (IDRC) panel titled 'Améliorer l’efficience des services et leur résilience au milieu urbain dans les pays francophone, pour une implémentation efficace des Accords de Paris et des NDCs.' Thursday, 10th of November, 09:00-11:00, Pavillion de la Francophonie.
- REEEP DG Martin Hiller will be speaking on a panel organised by the OPEC Fund for International Development (OFID) on Energy Access and Climate Change through the Energy-Water-Food Nexus. Thursday, 10th of November, 13:00-14:30, Green Zone, Room Souss.
- REEEP will be attending the side event organised by REIL (Renewable Energy and International Law). Thursday, 10th of November, 14:30-16:00, Indonesia Pavillion.
- REEEP will also be attending the side event organised by SNV, Cameroon and the University of Cambridge, titled 'How technology and business are mobilizing climate change adaptation & mitigation at scale.' Tuesday, 15th of November, 15:00-16:30, Arabian.