About our Open Data work
REEEP is a leading knowledge broker in clean energy via www.reegle.info, the most widely-used free clean energy information portal, which currently attracts 220,000 users per month. Reegle.info works on the principle of linked open data (LOD). REEEP considers opening up data and making data more easily accessible and re-useable to be a major driver for the energy transformation.
As well as the ongoing development of reegle.info, we have a number of other initiatives to develop our work on data and knowledge and support the LOD movement with other actors in the climate compatible development and clean energy fields.
These include the reegle Tagging API (more information at http://api.reegle.info), and ongoing promotion of LOD via workshops such as the recent Low Emission Development Strategies Global Partnership annual workshop in Pattaya, Thailand, and in Washington D.C. along with NREL in November 2012 (for further info see http://www.reeep.org/news/linked-open-data-lifts-washington). The success of these workshops has encouraged us to develop plans for a global “Climate and Energy Data Exchange” portal and related capacity building activities on opening up energy and climate data in developing countries and emerging markets.
About the role
We are looking for an experienced project manager to develop energy data related projects based on the needs of developing countries and emerging economies.
The Open Data Project Developer will be responsible for collaborating with partners (developing country governments, developing country local authorities and institutions, international organisations, multilateral development banks, etc.) to define requirements, writing project specifications and managing the implementation, including instructing developers and capacity building for the partner.
Some work with partners will be carried out on-site so the role will involve travel. We are looking for someone with high level technical (IT) knowledge, able to understand the data needs of stakeholders from developing countries and emerging economies and transform them into project proposals.
The Open Data Project Developer will report to the Operations and IT Director. We are a small organisation that works in a collaborative way – the project development work needs to be integrated with the work of others in the team who will scout for opportunities and establishing key partnerships to further REEEP’s open data activities. The incumbent will work closely with the knowledge management team and REEEP’s consultants.
Key skills and experience
The applicant needs to have the necessary technical skills, knowledge, experience and interpersonal skills in order to:
- Understand the data needs of stakeholders from developing countries and emerging economies and develop data related projects (including capacity building) incorporating existing knowledge management tools from REEEP (such as reegle.info, the reegle tagging API, reegle’s linked open data portal)
- Specify and manage IT related projects
- Communicate the importance of technical activities to non-technical audiences
- Collaborate effectively with REEEP’s communications consultants and event facilitators to ensure continuation and extension of REEEP’s Open Data capacity building and promotion events
- Collaborate with the wider team to ensure close linkages of data and knowledge management work with REEEP’s other activities
- Prioritise workload and identify core activities necessary to deliver targets
- Meet challenging targets and tight deadlines
- Be confident, articulate and persistent enough to quickly secure and convert trust into action with senior contacts from funders, partners and key stakeholders
- Be able to listen, learn and build trust
- Be a confident, dynamic presenter
Key attitudes and characteristics
The successful applicant must have:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (especially in English)
- A passion for IT and project management
- Strong interest in clean energy and climate compatible development
- Strong interest in the potential for open data to support clean energy and climate compatible development
- Commitment to REEEP’s role as a market catalyst for clean energy in developing countries and emerging markets
- Ability to work on own initiative, display confidence and to adapt plans and approach as needed to iterate to success
- Entrepreneurial spirit and evidence of a self-starter approach
- Excellent organizational skills with proven experience in developing reports and proposals
- Highly adaptable approach to dealing with colleagues / clients
- Master degree (or equivalent) in relevant discipline and at least 5 years work experience
Workplace: Vienna, Austria
Terms: Permanent position (40hrs/week)
Reporting to: Operations & IT Director
Working language: English
A pdf of this job listing can be downloaded below. Please send your application including a CV and a motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 7 April 2013.