This event, organised by UNIDO, the South African Department of Environmental Affairs and REEEP in cooperation with the EU Directorate for Climate Action, will constitute the official launch of the EU-funded pilot initiative for market-based clean energy technologies and services deployment in South African municipal water works.
This pilot will form the basis for replication/scale-up in the country and the Southern African Development Community region. The initiative invests in pilot projects to maximise energy efficiency, e.g. optimising pumping and water treatment systems, and deploying renewable energy systems to replace coal-fired electricity production. It will link into existing capacity building programmes and institutions, apply rigorous monitoring and evaluation for lessons learnt and promote, replicate and scale the solutions.
The discussion will focus on how this initiative is anchored in the water and energy strategy of South Africa and on a regional level. The panellists will elaborate on the role of the private sector and market for success and replication, its links with other projects and initiatives as well as connections between this initiative and broader sustainable cities development approach.
Moderator: Martin Hiller, Director General of REEEP
- Eric Beaume, Deputy Head of Unit for Water, Infrastructure and Cities, DG DEVO of the European Commission
- Tlou Ramaru, Chief Director, Climate Change Adaptation, Department of Environmental Affairs, South Africa
- Alois Mhlanga, Industrial Development Officer in the Energy Branch, United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- Kane Thornton, CEO of the Clean Energy Council, Australia
- Benaceur Ourkia, Directorate-General of Local Communities, Ministry of the Interior, Morocco (invited)
The event will take place in the EU Pavilion.