To assist small and medium enterprises (SMEs) gain access to institutional funding for biodiesel production in SADC countries with a focus on Zambia, Lesotho and Tanzania.
Consult with national and regional authorities to establish legislative requirements and policies with regard to biofuels in general and biodiesel in particular;
- Establish a dedicated biofuels website and a business planning helpline for Southern Africa;
- Develop a generic small-scale biodiesel business plan with supporting manual describing how SMEs can customize their business plans;
- Develop a guidebook on how to obtain finance from national and international institutions;
- Organise a workshop enabling a clean energy organization in each of the target countries to support biodiesel business development.
Improved quality of life and reduction in poverty in agricultural and peri-urban areas of the target countries through the generation of viable businesses;
- Increased energy security;
- Improved access to finance for small-scale biodiesel producers through better business planning and support systems.
Renewable Energy (RE) (Business&Finance)
LS/Lesotho, TZ/Tanzania, ZM/Zambia
2006 - 2008
€ 76,870 including co-funding from WISIONS/SEPS
African Sustainable Fuels Centre (ASFC)