We are seeking a bold and innovative leader with deep and proven experience in giving strategic direction and guiding highly skilled teams in the clean energy, climate and development sectors.
This is an exciting role requiring an extraordinary and entrepreneurial individual: one who will shape all aspects of REEEP’s delivery and position the organization as a market leader in designing the clean energy markets of the future.
The Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Partnership (REEEP) is an impact-driven international non-profit organization that builds markets for clean energy in developing countries, primarily in Africa and Asia.
Our goals: increase energy access, reduce poverty, create economic opportunities, and combat climate change.
We are a unique cadre of professionals: a combination of (erstwhile) engineers, economists, lawyers, bankers, operations experts and development specialists who are bringing start-up energy and blue-sky ideas to tackle big challenges. REEEP’s head office is in Vienna, Austria, but we work hand-in-hand with partners based in our countries of implementation.
About the Role
The Director General (DG) assumes key responsibility for leading the International Secretariat (IS) of REEEP, encompassing all programme and operations teams. S/He reports to the REEEP Governing Board.
Over the past few years, REEEP has made significant strides in redefining its role as an architect of innovative public-private financing models for clean energy in developing countries, one that has seen the organization win two prestigious awards for its work on the Beyond the Grid Fund for Zambia (BGFZ).
A key goal of the DG will be to now take REEEP to the next level, positioning it as a market leader in the space and driving an innovation-heavy strategy that integrates novel sustainable financing approaches, cutting-edge digital solutions, and bulletproof operational capacities and delivery.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The DG should own and lead implementation of REEEP’s 3-year Strategic Business Plan 2020-2022, and steer REEEP’s activities from demand generation to project execution, supported by business-oriented operations:
- Strategy, innovation, business development and venturing
- Business operations
- Global representation, outreach, marketing and communications
- Large Programme execution
- Digital product developments
- Sustainable finance advisory and instruments
As part of this role the DG will be expected to:
- Strategically develop and implement annual work plans for REEEP and ensure that REEEP continues to operate in such a way as to secure continued operation as a Quasi-International Organization (QuIO) in Vienna, Austria
- Ensure the proper day to day operational and financial management of REEEP, complying with its statutes, best practices and with the demands of its funding partners.
- Ensure robust and comprehensive performance measurements of REEEP activities, which can be translated into understandable and dynamic results
- Ensure that REEEP continues to strengthen the quality of its team and its diversity, working closely with management to ensure a productive and healthy work environment supporting dynamic and innovative personnel
- Maintain and build key relationships with other organizations and initiatives in the field of energy, development and climate change, representing REEEP effectively at the highest global levels
- Work with government, the private sector and philanthropy to secure the resources needed for REEEP to deliver on the work developed in its annual work plans in the context of strategic frameworks and multi-year business plans
- Support the REEEP Governing Board to grow its membership and to strengthen its oversight and support for REEEP according to the highest standards of corporate governance
The DG will lead the growing REEEP IS team, including direct line management for senior management team members.
The next REEEP DG will possess a number of hard and soft skillsets. Above all s/he will have strategic and entrepreneurial vision, established by a proven leadership track-record and strong C-level network. S/he will be business-oriented and performance-driven; s/he will be motivated by a desire to have significant and lasting impact on peoples’ lives, and dedicated to harnessing the power of market economies to solving the world’s thorniest challenges.
Candidates should, in addition, demonstrate that they bring to the table the following traits:
- An established actor at the international level with a proven ability to convene and engage with the highest levels of government, business and other key stakeholders on energy and sustainable development. S/he should be well known and highly respected in the global community.
- Demonstrated track record of superior leadership skills. Proven ability to continuously manage a growing and diverse international organization in the public or private sector, implement a strategic vision, effectively implement growth scenarios, prioritize work activities, and allocate scarce resources.
- Minimum 10 years of successful experience as a senior executive in a business or organization in the private or public sector in a related field with international scale.
- Enthusiastic, charismatic and tenacious leader who motivates and attracts all levels; personal dedication to the objectives of REEEP.
Strategic vision and analytical thinking:
- Identifies and pursues strategic direction and work plan interventions which provide the greatest impact; communicates clearly and precisely REEEP goals and strategies for achieving them; balances long-term and short-term trade-offs.
- Analyses issues and problems systematically, gathers broad and balanced input, draws sound conclusions, and translates conclusions into timely decisions and actions.
Business development and partnership building acumen:
- Demonstrated ability to mobilize resources and establish strong relations with funders and investors.
- Ability to facilitate creation of sustainable public-private partnerships, including advising governments and businesses.
Sector experience and expertise:
- Demonstrated experience in working in the non-profit/international organization sector, managing public funds effectively and transparently.
- Demonstrated expertise in the field of clean energy and climate change mitigation.
- Experience demonstrated in working in multiple geographic regions, including both developing and developed countries, and capability in leading in culturally diverse settings.
Effectiveness, accountability and integrity:
- Demonstrated and strong commitment to producing results and being able to communicate them effectively.
- Superior strategic and analytical skills; ability to quickly grasp information; good business judgment and persuasive skills.
- Ability to function effectively at the highest level in a multi-cultural environment, building and sustaining collaboration with partners and colleagues.
- Impeccable ethics and integrity; puts the interests of the initiative before his/her own interests.
- Hands-on, self-reliant and action-oriented; calm in the face of stress, and ability to focus and prioritise work at organisational and individual levels.
- Equally at ease in working with the public and private sector, as well as civil society.
- Inspires trust and passion in the organization; treats all individuals with fairness and respect, demonstrating sensitivity for cultural and gender differences; maintains high standards of personal integrity.
Teamwork and talent management skills:
- Provides leadership in an open, team-based environment: creates an environment conducive to teamwork, continuous learning, and knowledge sharing.
- Develops realistic plans with available human resources; establishes high standards of performance and demonstrates a commitment to excellence; empowers staff by removing obstacles to achieving business goals; focuses on results and delivers what is promised, on time and within budget.
- Attracts and selects highly effective staff, building a team diverse in gender and nationality; gives candid performance feedback, praising accurately their ability and potential; rewards desirable behaviours; provides support for professional development efforts linked to business objectives.
- Promotes collaboration and facilitates teamwork across organizational boundaries; builds alliances and promotes open communication and collaboration to achieve joint objectives.
Education and language abilities:
- First degree and graduate degree in a related field is desirable, including economics, finance, public administration, energy, natural sciences, or international relations.
- Complete fluency in English with excellent communications skills, including the ability to communicate at multiple levels and across diverse disciplines and cultures. Other languages are an advantage.
What We Offer
The salary is competitive, paid 14 times a year, subject to Austrian social security contributions, currently free of income tax due to REEEP’s status as “Quasi International Organisation”. This is a full-time position, which includes five weeks paid leave as well as an average of 14 Austrian and UN holidays per annum.
The envisaged starting date is 15 March 2020, or earlier depending on the candidate’s availability. The work location is the Vienna International Centre in Vienna, Austria.
Due to its special legal status, applicants must be able to obtain a valid residency permit for Austria/EU, but do not require a work permit. REEEP is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard for age, gender, race, religion, marital status, physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation.
How to Apply
Applicants are kindly requested to address their CV, motivation letter and any supporting documents to DGjob [at] reeep.org. Please note that only complete and timely submitted applications will be considered and that only short-listed candidates will receive individual communication.
Application deadline: 22 November 2019 (midnight CET)
Planned recruitment process milestones:
- 25-29 November 2019: First round of virtual interviews
- December 2019/January 2020: Second round of virtual interviews
- By 31 January 2020: Final round with personal interviews in Vienna and final selection
By sending us your application, you consent to the processing of your personal data indicated in your application documents and related correspondence. Your application is treated strictly confidentially and in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Your personal data and application documents are only shared with REEEP staff and REEEP Governing Board members directly involved in the application process.
In exceptional cases, recruitment processes include panel interviews, which involve external members. If you are invited to such a panel interview, your application documents will also be shared with external panellists to allow them to prepare for the interview.
REEEP will store your personal data and documents until six months after the application process has been completed, unless you consent to REEEP keeping your application in evidence for future job openings.
Please see our Privacy Statement (https://www.reeep.org/privacy-statement) for further information on your rights under the GDPR and REEEP’s contact data.